What is a decentralized exchange in crypto trading? The blockchain is a decentralized technology that relies on algorithms and consensus protocols without the need for a central authority to determine if a record is valid or not. The spirit of cryptocurrencies and the blockchain promotes decentralized transactions that eliminate the middleman in exchanging assets and data.
With that in mind, decentralized crypto exchanges represent an environment for peer-to-peer transactions, where investors can exchange digital assets without relying on the services of a third party who will ultimately have some degree of control over digital assets and data.
The following article will explain what a decentralized exchange is, how it works, and the benefits of using a decentralized exchange (DEX) compared to relying on a centralized exchange (CEX).
What is a decentralized exchange in crypto trading?
A decentralized exchange (abbreviated in a DEX) is a peer-to-peer marketplace where transactions occur directly between crypto traders. DEXs fulfill one of crypto’s core possibilities: fostering financial transactions that aren’t officiated by banks, brokers, payment processors, or any other kind of intermediary.
These exchanges rely on smart contracts and on-chain data to facilitate peer-to-peer transactions through which digital assets can be passed from one wallet to another.
In the case of DEX crypto exchanges, no central server holds the users’ data exchanging assets, which mitigates the risk of data being stolen or accessed without authorization by a third party. As a result, users who trade assets through a DEX remain anonymous, as all transactions are encrypted, and the identity of those who participate is reduced to their wallet number.
Advantages & disadvantages of decentralized exchange – DEX
Advantage of decentralized exchange
- Data from users remain anonymous, and transactions are stored within the blockchain.
- Lower trading fees resulting from the elimination of the middleman.
- Investors and traders can exchange a wide range of digital assets through DEXs as long as someone is willing to provide liquidity for them.
- Liquidity providers are compensated for acting as market makers.
- Users have access to their private keys and control their digital assets.
- Independent from regulations and do not require authentication procedure.
Disadvantages of DEX
- Execution speeds can be slower compared to CEXs due to the still limited scalability of the underlying blockchain.
- If hackers manage to perform a 51% attack on the blockchain that powers the DEX, fake transaction data could be introduced, or existing data could be tampered with.
- Liquidity at DEXs largely depends on the availability of tokens due to the increased participation of individual market makers. That could result in lower levels of liquidity compared to CEXs for less popular tokens.
- DEXs require a more profound knowledge of decentralized blockchain technology to start trading. At the very least, users must learn how to fund their external wallet and link it to the DEX interface to make a trade. With CEXs, the depositing process is more straightforward.
- DEX technology does not allow you to buy digital assets with fiat money. Neither can you trade fiat or withdraw your funds to your bank account, which can become a barrier to new traders.
Although centralized exchanges still dominate crypto markets and serve the needs of everyday crypto traders and investors, decentralized alternatives provide an exciting option. Through on-chain smart contracts, DEXs provide a trustless method of connecting buyers and sellers and offer new models of equitable involvement and governance for stakeholders. However, these platforms are still in their infancy. Further refinement of the user experience, infrastructure development, improved scaling mechanisms, and increasing connections to centralized crypto and legacy financial institutions will be necessary to ensure future adoption.
Above are GIG’s shares about “What is a decentralized exchange in crypto trading? Compare CEX & DEX”. Hope this article will be helpful for investors. Subscribe to GIG Dollar to stay updated with the latest news on blockchain, cryptocurrency, digital asset investment, etc.
Telegram Channel: https://t.me/gigdollario